For our midterm project, I’ve been paired with Melanie – NYC souvenirs and fireworks fan.
We started with discussions and brainstorming, and after going through a lot of ideas, and overlooking on our latest projectד in P-comp class, we decided to create a snow-globe that reacts to motion, and show this reaction on screen using P5. We both like the idea of an independent product, that will move a user to interact with our piece. Our final goal is to find a snow globe that can be physically comfortable to shake, and to create digital snow that will effect on webcams stream of New York city sights.
we stated with the accelerometer, and with the serial communication lab that connects the Arduino to the p5 sketch.
We got some advise from Laura the resident and Moon. This is Laura’s code for snow:
We got Laura and Moon’s example from the ICM sessions on how to make snow, and changed it so it will fit our motions that we wanted to show on screen.
Our research on how to show the webcam online, led us to Sam, and also Ruben from 2nd year, that told us we should download flash to p5, but basically said- first start with a ready made video, then it will be easier to switch to the real thing. So we did. Melanie took a snap video of the screen from the webcam in front of the statue of liberty.
In order to make the physical element of the snow-globe, we searched around the city for one that fit us the most.
We started online, continued in Chinatown and then 5th Avenue, between 20-30 streets.
We found one that we can take out a music box from the bottom, and then fit a smaller version of Arduino.
We met to try out our first prototype, which was successful thanks to help from Moon.
After we got good results with the basic circuits, we continued to try and make this circuit more compact. Melanie was really excited to try the compact Arduino and bluetooth, so she figured she’s going to use it in the future and ordered a few components that can help us with this project: Arduino trinket, our own accelerometer, and Adafruit bluetooth. We soldered all the boards to the pins:
And after a few rounds of trouble shooting we got this:
The most problematic issue on the way was that the Arduino trinket wrote the value differently than what we got with the regular Arduino. Part of the issue was that the Trinket pins are too small to see correctly where you put the pins. TIP- work with data sheet 🙂
After we got the accelerometer and Trinket work well, we had a round of tryouts to connect this whole thing to bluefruit. With no success and advisment from Sam, Aaron (1st year) and Pedro, we decided to keep the wire. It sounds like in order to get the trinket to work with bluefruit you need to install a different serial library and to call the serial communication – Serial1. I would like to research it in the future, but for now, we think the best thing will be to continue without blutooth. We decided on the best enclosed for the circuit, that Melaney built, cuz sh’e know how to build stuff :).
First stage documentation:
This is our final piece: