About a month ago, me and my P-comp group, decided to create toys for kids in our P-comp final. Since then, I’ve been working on making prototypes of 3d shapes that we might use and also building them with the laser cutter and lately began to use the CNC cutter. These are some of the examples the we used in our user-testing:
After the used testing we figured we are going to use the round stacking shapes which was the best for our user.
I decided to ask Xialong and Ilay’s help in order to make those shapes from wood. Xialong advise was to make those shapes in vectorworks, and Ilay’s on the other hand, was good with illustrator. Xialong sais that Vectorworks works better in precision and that he also make his laser cutting with this program. Because I had experience with illustrator, that was my best practice to start this process, Although I downloaded Vectrworks and tried it a bit.
The first tryout was made just by making 3 rounds in illustrator. Ilay explained every step that we need to go through with Mastercam Software.
I was very happy with the results, after sanding. It’s great to know that you can actually give much production value to our prototypes.
That was our first step.
After we figured we need to put our neopixels LED’s inside our wooden circles, we made a sketch of what our shape need to look like from the inside:
This time I got the help from Maya and Abishek, we went over all the properties again, It was very helpful to go over Cam menus all over again, I got some notes from the previous tryout, but Maya also mentioned the “Subtractions” tutorial, we just followed it.
After the machine started we noticed it’s working fast and aggressive, when we checked the CNC screen, the cut and plunge speed, two top speed bars, was on the highest, so we need to remember to put it on 50/45. The speed caused a few breakouts of wood, but I assumed I need to make more of it to get the best shape, so we continued after we paused the machine, this time it was slower.
I actually liked to see how it was doing the small step that we measures to fit the newpixels:
We still need to close t with a veneer, I thought about making a few holes and attach some magnets.
I also got those bits for future works: