In this semester I hope to get much more comfortable around all the tools that we have at ITP. Our first assignment this semester is to go back a little bit and try to get our skills better with tools that we might find using after we finish our studies, when we won’t necessarily have a CNC or laser cut machines available. This time we need to use the hand router. Last semester I had good experience with this one, when I worked on my Hanucake – wooden Menorah for Hanukkah, made from a shape of a 3 layered cake. I got to the shop on Friday evening when it was super quiet and had a chance to work calmly on this one. I started by collecting all the tools that I need for this assignment:
I placed the straight bit, using the allen key to keep it from rotating. After that I replaced the circle jig with the regular acrylic part. I still would like at some point to create a new jig for the router..maybe with new circle sizes or straight one.
I made sure that only tip of the bit is coming out from the jig height in order to start with a small depth of cutting.
This is the measurements I had on the wood in order to have a middle point. I then used 1/4 inch drill bit for the wooden part of the jig holder.
This is the placement of everything before I stated to cut…As we practiced, I wanted to make sure on a dry round how the cable will end up being when Im completing my cut.
The I started, counter clock rotation, to cut my circle.
This is the first layer cut.
When I came up to start the cutting, after I started the machine, I couldn’t make is smooth start and had this point start..It’s kind of jumped first when it touched the wood…
In this part I started to think how I should use the phone camera in the shop beacuse right now it’s full with wood dust…..
Nest level height:
Measuring in order to check what is the distance from the line that I need to cut- till the fence i’m putting:
I figured I might do another round before I’m cutting the middle of my object, and used it to make another bigger round:
Then I placed the ruler as a fence for the router..It didn’t kept it’s place with the screws…
Didn’t like the results, so I thought to try out the table too:
It wasn’t the accurate, and I wasn’t sure if the results can be more precise with a different bit, maybe a smaller one…
after I finished with the cutting I made sure that the collet is clean
Finished with hole saw details..